Social Icons

twitterfacebooklinkedinFollow Me on Pinterestemail

marți, noiembrie 18, 2014

101 in 1001: Get a house plant and keep it alive


It's been 20 months since I moved into my lovely apartment (it sounds like counting the age of a baby - but for me it was almost like that!), so I think it's safe to say that I managed to keep a plant alive.

Why was this on my list in the first place? Well, because my history with plants was not all that great. I managed to kill a couple of cacti when I was younger, which is sort of impossible (unless you drown them, which, of course, I did). I also killed the plant our old landlady had back when me and my bro were renting, by doing the opposite - not watering it, like, ever. 

But when I bought the apartment, I decided I was going to be a plant person. Easier said than done, of course, and I admit to managing to successfully kill some plants in the process because I didn't do enough research on them and didn't really know how to care for them.

I will say this - each plant is special and what works with one may not work with others, so research is your friend if you want to start an indoor or outdoor garden.

I started off with a beautiful pink Anthurium, which I still have, although I've had some adventures with it in the past year (but managed to save from certain death after replanting it in a smaller pot, and it has also flowered this autumn). I plan on acquiring another one at one point.

I received a Bonsai from a friend, but unfortunately I've had some problems with it due to incorrectly placing it - my apartment is not very bright and I had to place my plants on windowsills, which is not a very good idea, since Bonsais are not supposed to be put in drafty places. I hope I can restore it this winter.

My plant "collection" has grown this year and, besides the Anthurium and the Bonsai, I also have 3 Kalanchöes (orange, pink and red), a purple Zantedeschia (Calla Lily), a yellow Guzmania (which has babies that will need repotting soon), a small Dracaena Marginata (green, no flowers), a Dracaena Sanderiana (Lucky Bamboo), a Yucca plant (one of the easiest houseplants to care for, recommended for beginners), a small Haworthia plant (succulent) and two Phalaenopsis Orchids (one is purple and the other one is sort of peach-pink-ish). Oh, and also a pink Climbing rose which I received as a gift from my work mates and which I hope will survive the winter, as there's no way I can store it inside until spring.

It's not a big collection, I definitely want to add more to it, but probably not before spring. I also need to reconsider storing them during the winter (closing the bedroom balcony in the future, when I manage to put some money away). 

So far, I'm quite proud of myself for managing to keep more plants alive than the ones I've (unwantedly) killed, so yay for me!

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu